What Is Chlorine And Why Is It In My Drinking Water?

Chlorine is not normally occurring in water. It is used to disinfect water because it is highly efficient at killing disease-causing bacteria found in the water or pipes that deliver it. It kills almost any bacteria typically found in water supplies.

Chlorine is the most commonly used disinfectant in the country and the primary one world wide.  It may be used with ammonia compounds or chloramines which can result in a fishy smell or taste in the water.

Is It Really That Great?

As noted, chlorine is great at killing bacteria and organisms however however chlorine can also cause adverse health effects when consumed.

When chlorine is added to water, it reacts chemically with any organic matter found in the water; and there is always organic matter in natural water. These reactions with other naturally occurring elements can form toxins called trihalomethanes, an example of which would be chloroform. These toxins have reportedly been linked to a variety of health issues ranging from eczema to bladder cancer. Agencies do feel that the risks of chlorine and its bi-products at low levels far outweighs the risks involved in the multitude of bacteria and microorganisms that would otherwise be present in the water.

Can I Lower The Chlorine Levels In My Drinking Water?

There are a variety of methods to reduce chlorine levels in your drinking water including

  • Activated Carbon Filtration
  • Distillation

If you think you have chlorine in your drinking water, contact one of our specialists to discuss your water testing and treatment options.