Oil Tank Sweep
An oil tank sweep is the best way to locate buried oil tanks. Improperly abandoned underground oil tanks are a financial liability and hazard.
Warning Signs That a Property has an Undisclosed Buried Oil Tank
- If the home or building was constructed prior to 1975 and has natural gas heat.
- An above ground oil tank provides fuel for heat or hot water.
- Pipes are visible sticking up from the ground or driveway at the property.
- Extra lines are entering the basement from the outside and do not appear to be productive.
If any of the above conditions exist, there is a strong possibility that there may be an undisclosed buried oil tank on the property.
The Risks Associated With Abandoned Underground Oil Tanks
Tanks that are not properly abandoned have often leaked in the past and are likely to be surrounded by contaminated soil.
Taking possession of a contaminated property means that you are responsible for the cleanup costs even though you may have no prior knowledge of the problem. Cleanups are costly – ranging from $8,000 to up to $100,000! What’s more, most home insurers exclude coverage for leaking oil tanks so you wind up footing the bill.
Tanks that are empty and not properly backfilled with sand or gravel can inadvertently collapse and create a dangerous sinkhole. Most municipalities will require the owner to take immediate action to make the area safe.
NEED HELP LOCATING A BURIED OIL TANK?
Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself
Sellers often do not have any knowledge of any oil tank at the property because they were left abandoned by previous owners, so it is important to protect yourself against any financial liability and health hazard in your new home.
1. Search the area for tanks: Hire a certified company to search the premises for undisclosed and abandoned underground tanks.
2. Choose an experienced contractor: Many companies do not have significant experience in finding tanks on both residential and commercial properties. Be sure to verify the contractor’s insurance is valid.
3. Expect a detailed report: If a tank is discovered, you should receive a written report detailing the location of the tank.
Why Use ATS For This Service
20 Years of Experience
ATS has performed more than 25,000 search services for clients in the past 20 years.
Certified and Highly Trained Experts
ATS sends highly trained experts that carry special inductive and conductive locators (sophisticated metal detectors) and probes that can identify tanks buried underground or beneath driveways.
Our report includes detailed site findings and recommends the steps you should follow to avoid inheriting a potential environmental problem. In addition, our field experts will physically mark the area at the property if it presents a potential environmental risk.
Underground Oil Tank Inspections
Comprehensive inspections for underground storage tanks, heating oil tanks and aboveground storage tanks.Find out more
The most comprehensive soil testing method in the industry.Find out more
Our advanced tank testing procedures will determine whether your tank is at high risk for catastrophic failure in the near future.Find out more
Protect yourself against major expenses caused by a defective tank.Find out more