When a tank sweep is performed on a property for underground heating oil tanks, an exploratory dig may be necessary as further investigation of located metallic areas.
When a tank sweep is performed on a property, field technicians are looking for several indications that an underground heating oil tank exists including:
- Scan of the 30′ perimeter around the home
- Fuel lines
- Vent pipes
- Fill pipes
In cases where a metallic object is located underground which cannot be definitively determined to be an underground heating oil tank, ATS will recommend further investigation of this area or, in some cases, several areas on the property by performing an exploratory dig.
Are you concerned about the existence of an underground heating oil tank on your property?
Our Exploratory Dig service includes:
- An ATS field technician uncovering a portion of the metal area to determine if the area of concern is an underground heating oil tank.
- If the area is not determined to be an underground oil tank, we attempt to determine what the area is. In some cases, we find old septic systems and other vessels underground. These areas should be properly abandoned or removed as they also can cause future issues on the property such as sinkholes and contamination.
- Photographs are taken of the object and area to provide a visual perspective of the object and surrounding area.
- A full report based on our findings as well as photographs of the uncovered area.
ATS also understands that when someone is selling a home, they don’t want the stress of having inspectors bringing heavy machinery onto their property and digging unnecessarily large areas and leaving tire tracks on their home. This can be an aesthetic nightmare for a homeowner trying to sell their property. With our exploratory dig service, no heavy equipment is used and our field technician uncovers a controlled area, which allows for minimal disturbance of the property.
With an exploratory dig, ATS can provide peace of mind to homeowners, buyers and realtors.
Areas covered by this service
- New Jersey (NJ)
- New York (NY)
- Pennsylvania (PA)
- Connecticut (CT)
Why Use ATS For This Service
Our field technicians have extensive training and field experience.
Certification and Licensing
ATS holds all required certifications and licensing.
Step by Step
Our staff will walk you through each step of the environmental testing process.
Underground Oil Tank Inspections
Comprehensive inspections for underground storage tanks, heating oil tanks and aboveground storage tanks.Find out more
The most comprehensive soil testing method in the industry.Find out more
An undetected underground tank can cause serious damage to a property. Don't be caught unaware, let ATS locate your hidden tanks!Find out more
Protect yourself against major expenses caused by a defective tank.Find out more